Thursday, January 31, 2008

Victim Impact Statement from Bryant Curtis Jones' widow

Prosecutors read an impact statement on behalf of Bryant Curtis Jones' wife at the hearing for Jamal Charles and Dwayne Drake, the two teenagers who killed Jones when he asked them to leave his daughter's sweet-16 party in 2006.
My name is Alisa Deneen Torbit-Jones. I am the widow of the late Bryant Curtis Jones.

While trying to keep the peace and safety of his family, Bryant was fatally shot on April 14th, 2006 at our daughter Tamirra's sixteenth birthday party by Jamal Charles. Jamal Charles was encouraged to shoot my husband by his friend, Dwayne Drake. They both were asked to leave our home because they were being disruptive. Before they left, they insisted on their refund of $1.00 for their entrance into the party for Tamirra. Although their entrance fee was refunded, they still were not satisfied, became extremely combative verbally, and the end result was my husband being shot three times, once in the head. My family and I were with my husband when he died from these gunshot wounds at Shock Trauma.

I am angry, mad, and most of all enraged. I have lost my friend, and it hurts. Some days are better than others, and I am trying to overcome the hate that has consumed me. Bryant and I had a bond that no one could break. We have known each other since we were fifteen years old, and had been married for four years. I never imagined that I would have to see my loved one die so tragically and violently. I feel like I am in a dream, as well as a nightmare. It doesn't feel real, doesn't sound real, but everyday that I don't see him; I know that it is real.

When you killed my husband, you never thought about how I or the children would survive. Bryant was a major contributor and he provided so we wouldn't have to sacrifice. Now that he is gone, it is very hard to make ends meet.

Bryant always liked to help people. He was a family oriented individual, and an excellent electrician. He was a good man, a beloved son, a devoted father to his children, and a trustworthy friend. He has a grand-daughter that will never know his love, see his smile, or hear his voice.

I am not the only one who mourns for Bryant. His senseless murder left six children without a father - Derrick, Tamirra, Kourtney, Bryant, Darryl and Danielle. His grief stricken father Charles, who eight months later would lose his wife Linda, Bryant's mother who said her heart was broken because she had lost her oldest baby. A dedicated brother Charles (when you saw one, you always saw the other). Two sisters Evette and Danyell (Evette passed away 3 months after their mother's death). My husband had one grandmother, loving godparents, many in-laws and a host of nephews, nieces, cousins, relatives and friends. As long as we live we will never forget Bryant Curtis Jones nor will we ever forget Jamal Charles and Dwayne Drake who took him from us so violently and sudden.

We will always love and miss Bryant.

I feel that Jamal Charles and Dwayne Drake should be severely punished for taking Bryant's life. They should do the full time given to them. Bryant's life was worth more than a $1.00. Jamal Charles and Dwayne Drake should at least serve the age my husband was at the time of his senseless murder. Bryant was 42 years old. Nothing less with possibility of parole.

No comments: