Monday, August 18, 2008

August 18

"The medical examiner has ruled that a woman found Friday morning in a northeast Baltimore park was the victim of homicide -- the sixth woman to die of strangulation in the city this year." The special prostitution task force was on the scene, Janis reports.
Here's all six strangulations mapped by spotcrime.

Jessamy is "furious" at an Abell foundation study that found "jurors in nearby counties are 30 times more likely than their city counterparts to convict a defendant of the most serious charge."

Two robberies, two shot victims last night.

Three teenage boys shot
in the SW yesterday.

Another shooting, a cutting and a robber on a mo-ped in the Blotter.

7 comments:

taotechuck said...

That article on the jury disparity is fascinating. The researcher suggests a regional jury pool.

The fact that Jessamy is whining about the report's accuracy instead of addressing the questions it raises speaks volumes.

Cameron said...

I agree, this city does need a regional jury pool. As a past-jury member I was appalled at what some of the other jurors said and how they picked their verdict. It seemed that they had no desire to "send another black man to prison" regardless of what the crime he/she committed was. It's reverse racism at its best!

The studies author needs to publish this work quickly! Maybe someone will stand up and take notice once the stats are out there. Doubt it, but worth hoping for.

mrdot said...

It's a nice idea, but there's no way any city or state politician would touch it.

John Galt said...

A regional jury pool?

Now, why didn't I ever think of that ? (!!!)

ppatin said...

Heh, Galt, you beat me to it. I got a kick out of the fact that the Abell Foundation was in total agreement with you.

Speaking of juries, I have jury duty (third time in 2 & 1/2 years, gotta love Baltimore) tomorrow. If I end up on a jury I'll be sure to write up the whole story for B. Crime.

Maurice Bradbury said...

ooh yes! I can't wait to hear!

ppatin said...

Realistically my story will probably consist of "I sat around the courthouse for eight hours and went home." It's possible the the Baltimore City Circuit Court has become more efficient in the past fifteen months, but I rather doubt it.