Saturday, March 14, 2009

New Blog Alert

The Baltimore Scofflaws, fighting parking ticket fine insanity!
Writes the founder,
Last week, we the current and former citizens of Baltimore were informed the city will be extorting us to fill its dwindling coffers. Their weapon of choice comes in the form of excessive late fees associated with a variety of parking tickets, in some cases, many years old. According to NBC, 80,000 of us have been contacted concerning 183,000 citations totaling $132 million dollars. Some of us have now been individually saddled with THOUSANDS of dollars in fines to ease City Hall's debt ... we are furious the city views our bank accounts as their personal ATMs, for which THEY write the rules for withdrawal.

4 comments:

elkue said...

Bunch of whiny morons. If you didn't park illegally you wouldn't be dealing with this.

Pay your overdue fines!

Ms.March said...

Ha. If I knew I had one in the first place I would have payed it 5 years ago.

I agree that some people may have known and chosen not to pay. But some of us honestly did not know. The city is only required to send one notice and many of us didn't recieve that.

My record would show that I've payed EVERY fine that I've known about. Sorry, but I'm not a *moron*, RatherBeBiking.

Anonymous said...

RathingBeBiking is a punk from NY. Ignore him.

He is one of those anti-car, eco-biking fascists.

Jason said...

MJB, thanks for the add! For what it's worth, whether we paid our fines or not (and as it turns out, we are discovering that many of us did), I would ask RBB if a $27 should legally, logically, or morally EVER become a $1000 crime? That's the issue here. If we don't stand up to the government and let them know we're serious about our rights as citizens, they will take this as a mandate for further injustice for their own benefit. In fact, I would argue this is a fight for every citizen of Baltimore, not just those being extorted directly.