Thursday, August 14, 2008

Life + 18 for Philip Airey Murder

From the SA's Office:
Judge John Addison Howard sentenced Michael Martin, 28, of the 200 block of Allwood Road to life plus 18 years in prison for the murder of Philip Airey. A Baltimore jury convicted Martin May 23, 2008 of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit assault and wear/carry a dangerous weapon. Judge Howard sentenced Airey to life in prison for the murder count, 15-years, consecutive, for the conspiracy count and three-years, concurrent, for the dangerous weapon count.

On June 20, 2007 Anne Arundel County Fire Department responded to the scene of a car fire in a field next to an off ramp leading to West Nursery Road off of I-295. The firefighters noticed the 1993 Geo Prizm gas cap was missing, license plates were missing and the area around the car was burned. When fire officials popped the trunk they found decomposed remains of a body later identified as Philip Calvin Airey Jr., 36.

Statement of facts. Philip Airey’s mother reported him missing on June 19, 2007. She last saw her son on June 18 just before he left to meet Tracy Asbury at a local bar. According to witness statements, Airey arrived alone, ordered two drinks before Asbury showed up at the bar. The two were observed by witnesses having drinks and playing pool together for several hours before Asbury left the bar alone at midnight. Asbury was observed on her cell phone as she left the bar. Cell phone records revealed that Asbury was calling Michael Martin and Robert Speake. Airey ordered his last drink after Asbury left at 12:07 a.m. Cell phone records indicate Asbury made several cell phone calls to Airey between 12:40 and 12:42 a.m. Shortly after that time Airey arrived at the house on Pennington Avenue. According to witnesses, upon his entrance to the house, he was met with fists, kicks and punches in the living room. The fight moved into the basement where he was further assaulted and ultimately stabbed to death. Witnesses at the house at the time of the assault gave statements that they saw Michael Martin, Tracy Asbury and Robert Speake assault Airey and later saw a body wrapped in a blanket and a sleeping bag in the basement of the house. Another witness gave a statement that the next day, in the early morning, he saw Philip Airey’s Prizm in the alley and that Tracy Asbury was standing next to the vehicle and the trunk of the car was open. Witnesses gave statements that Asbury had spoken openly about an elaborate plan to assault Airey over the course of several weeks.

Speake, 19, pled guilty April 7, 2008 to second-degree murder, conspiracy to commit first-degree assault and use of a deadly weapon (knife) with intent to injure. Under terms of the plea agreement Speake was to testify truthfully in the Martin trial. Today, Judge Howard sentenced Speake to 58-years in prison, suspend all but 43-years.

Asbury, 38, pled guilty May 14, 2008 to second-degree murder and conspiracy to assault. Under terms of the plea agreement, Asbury was to testify truthfully in the Martin trial. Today, Judge Howard sentenced Asbury to 55-years in prison, suspend all but 33-years, and five-years probation.

Assistant State’s Attorney Theresa Shaffer of the Homicide Division prosecuted this case.


Anonymous said...

Robert Speake was coerced by Michael Paul Martin with the assistance of Tracey Asbury to assist with beating Phillip Airey up. Tracey Asbury lied and manipulated the beating and Tracey held a Wal-Mart bag of sort tightly over Phillip Airey's face and mouth until he stopped breathing. Also the sister Kim Louden was involved she was in the house. By the way Robert Speak's mother is married to Michael Paul Martin's father. They were all used by Tracey Asbury in her plot to kill Phillip Airey

Anonymous said...

How was Kimberly Louden involved? Being in the house, during or after the murder? Did Kimberly Louden take part in the planning, beating, or stabbing of Phillip Airey Jr.? How do you know such details "a Wal-Mart bag of sort"? How do you know of any invovement Kimberly Louden had? Kimberly Louden was never charged, if she was involved why wasn't she charged?