Saturday, August 26, 2006

August 26

Methodology problem

An Edgewood man was sentenced to 25 years for abducting an 18 year-old from 20th & Boone in Northern Baltimore in 2001, transporting him to Harford County, and shooting him dead in the head.

The question here is, who should record the murder? The deed was done in Harford, but the hazard is clearly to people on the Greenmount corridor, Baltimore City. Interestingly, we had another similar case a couple of years ago at 25th & Greenmount who was abducted and removed to a location in the Eastern District before being killed. That incident was recorded as an Eastern homicide, even though the hazard was to patrons of a location in Northern.

In Greg Kane's opinion article, catch his take on the fatal shooting of a boy by an assaulted police officer on a domestic dispute.

In police coverage, a good sized retail drug bust in Reservioir Hill nabs several dealers, including the 13 year-old son of one of the dealers.

7 comments:

Malnurtured Snay said...

Shouldn't wherever the murder happens determine which precinct or agency gets jurisdiction?

I mean, if some kid got kidnapped from Baltimore, flown to California, and shot dead, you wouldn't expect BPD to handle it.

Maurice Bradbury said...

Hey Galt and Chuck, I'm back as of last night, but blogger is locking me out! Can one of you send me an invitation?

John Galt said...

Gotta tell me how.

John Galt said...

I don't seem to be able to change settings, which I think I need to invite.

John Galt said...

malnurtured, I agree. The problem is that statistically, no one in California is at risk. A deployment of resources in Califirnia is going to fail to improve safety for the affected population.

It's a problem analogous to incidence vs. prevalence across neighborhoods in Baltimore City.

Do you police the luxury condos where hoodlums break in, or do you go after the hoodlums where they are in the 'hood? You'll get a lot more bang for buck going where they're at.

Maurice Bradbury said...

never mind, it fixed itself. Go figure

Malnurtured Snay said...

Oh, I misunderstood -- I though the question was what agency or precinct should handle the investigation. (That's what I get for blog-reading before I get my shower).