Thursday, July 19, 2007

Jessamy: Dixon Wants my Opinion!

Jessamy's office released a statement on the Hamm resignation:

“It appears that the failed policing strategies of the O’Malley years have finally come to an end. For the first time, after a succession of eight police commissioners serving the Mayor O’Malley administration, Mayor Dixon has sought my opinion and counsel on how we can work together in the best interest of our citizens. I believe that this type of partnership will make a difference and end this deadly grip of violence on our city.

In a period of almost eight years, the former mayor never sought my input on any crime strategy or plan, technology or legislation that would help reduce crime in Baltimore. It is a refreshing and welcome change that Mayor Dixon sees the importance of such a collaboration. I am energized by the Mayor’s vision and optimistic that this commitment will yield results for our citizens and I pledge my support to her efforts. I believe in Baltimore. I want what is best for our citizens.

I am delighted that Mayor Dixon has asked for my participation in the Mayor’s national search efforts. I am happy to serve in this capacity.

Finally, I applaud the many hard working police officers who put their lives on the line every day and I stand by their efforts to make our citizens safe. They deserve our full appreciation and support.”

Patricia C. Jessamy, Baltimore City State’s Attorney
July 19, 2007

12 comments:

Patrick Lyons said...

talk about the blind leading the blind.

Anonymous said...

...Could this be dumb and dumber: Law and Order edition?

ppatin said...

I think I actually have somewhat more respect for Pat Jessamy than I do for Sheila Dixon. The State's Attorney's office has to prosecute a huge number of crimes with very limited resources, so I have no doubt that Jessamy's job is difficult and thankless. Of course, it would help if she wasn't so fond of prosecuting law-abiding citizens for defending themselves, or if she would seek the death penalty against our worst killers every now and then. I'm still pissed that there wasn't even an attempt to get a death sentence for the scumbag who murdered Det. Chesley.

Anonymous said...

Given that PJ is an incompetent halfwit, I think the fact that O'Malley didn't ask for her opinion reflects well upon him.

Cham said...

Two useless cows self-congratulating each other.

Anonymous said...

If anyone represents incompetency period, it's Pat Jessamy. Failed strategies? She's got a whole lot of no room at all to point fingers. Bah! Humbug!

ppatin said...

"Given that PJ is an incompetent halfwit, I think the fact that O'Malley didn't ask for her opinion reflects well upon him."

I disagree. Now, before anyone jumps on me, I am not a fan or a defender of Patricia Jessamy. I believe she's a lousy state's attorney, but as they said about the fictional state's attorney in The Wire "he's an asshole, but he's an elected asshole so we have to work with him." I'm pretty sure I mangled that quote, but you get the point. O'Malley knew that PJ wasn't going away, so he should have sucked up his pride and tried to work with her. Would she still be a lousy prosecutor? Of course, but even an incompetent SA can achieve more if she's cooperating with the mayor rather than fighting with him.

Anonymous said...

One of the best moments on television -- hearing O'Malley call PJ a bitch. I doubt I could even be that polite when discussing her.

Patrick Lyons said...

the incompetence you describe comes less from an actual inability to do the work and more from ego, paranoia, and territoriality issues, which may stem from believing that everyone wishes they could fire you because you suck. she doesn't work well with others, not the other way around. PJ knew her days were numbered the moment they pushed through that immense raise for her position.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Such hate without any specifics.

John Galt said...

I find it sorta hard to figure out just whose the incompetence is because it's so pervasive and there's so much to go around. It just permeates everything Baltimore. The litmus test would be to place these people in a function environment somewhere else and see how they perform. The ones who have never really been outta here are just experientially crippled.

John Galt said...

functional, that is