Friday, June 6, 2008

June 6

It's tough for me to get all excited over tough federal/state sentences for handgun crimes when guys like Lucky Williams only get nine years. Baby steps, I guess. Just make sure you don't witness any murders while our leaders our baby stepping their way to greater political aspirations.

A jury found Natasha Fowlkes guilty for the beating that paralyzed her neighbor. I sure didn't see that one coming.

This is a long and convoluted story, but it seems to boil down to dropping a bunch of criminal cases because of some shady behavior by a cop.

A dude with a gun and a crowbar got his home invasion on at the house of a 25-year-old Middle River woman. No word on whether or not she was hurt.

Huh. I never knew that throwing poop at someone counts as assault. Now I'll totally have to re-think my office communication strategy.

Smash and grabs are on the rise in HoCo.

Looks like there's still some Harsonists on the loose.

Guess what they found in Senator Currie's house? Here's a hint: it's green, it smells funny, and it makes you craaaaaaaazzzzzy.

8 comments:

bdshayne said...

I learned it from you, Senator! I learned it from you.

Bmore said...

"pass da dutchy to da left hand side"

Bmore said...

random thought/question:

How many of you daily Bmore Crime readers reside in "bad" or "kinda rough" neighberhoods on Bmore City?

taotechuck said...

I'd classify my neighborhood as "kinda rough" rather than bad.

Sean said...

I believe it's "on da left hand side."

John Galt said...

Mine is chock full of hoodlums. One in three adult, nonelderly males is on supervised parole/probation.

Unknown said...

E.A and E.V all day!

well, not so much anymore. im currently residing more on the east side for a change. it's a mix up.

Gail said...

Good neighborhood (at least partly because of a very active community association and an extremely tight-knit community) surrounded by not-so-good neighborhoods. The charter school my son attends in Bolton Hill is also very good, although I do have some misgivings about the neighborhood. My husband works two blocks away from the school, sometimes I worry about the two of them, especially in the winter when it gets dark so early.

At the risk of sounding racist, I also worry about how my very blue-eyed, blond, and gentle seven-year-old is going to fare, even in a 'good' school. There's a red-headed kid I see at least once a week on my drive home from work, and he's got the 'ghetto' clothing and the swagger down; I suspect that in order to survive he has to try to blend in as best we can. Maybe everyone in his group is just trying to survive high school however they can. We try to stay involved and hope for the best.

I'd like to think that I'm not complaisant by any means; good neighborhoods can turn bad and sometimes (but alas, more rarely so) bad neighborhoods can become good ones. The price to pay (at the very least) to live in this neighborhood is being careful, observant, and involved, but at the same time I'm very much aware that I'm riding on the coattails of others. One of the selling points of this neighborhood was its very strong community association. Where we were before, we were just a couple of crazies showing up at zoning board hearings and the like; it's very hard for a single household to effect change when everyone else is too apathetic, too busy working and trying to make ends meet, and/or too scared to do anything.

That said, every day I read this blog and think, "There but for the grace of G-d go I". Kudos to all of you toughing it out in the bad or "kinda rough" neighborhoods; having been there, I know it isn't easy.