Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Two murderers

From the SAO, links added:
At a hearing today before his scheduled trial was to begin, Quadir Butcher, 20, of the 2200 block of E. Mount Holly Street pled guilty to first-degree murder and use of a handgun in the commission of a crime of violence.

Judge Sylvester Cox sentenced Butcher to life in prison suspend all but 40 years for the murder count and a concurrent 20 years in prison, first five years without the possibility of parole for the handgun count and five years probation.

On June 2, 2008, witness(es) identified Quadir Butcher as the person responsible for a double shooting in the 3100 block of Clifton Avenue. The two victims were on the porch of their residence at approximately 8:30PM that day when Butcher approached them, produced a handgun and shot the first victim, Derrell Smith in the neck. The other victim was shot in the abdomen and leg and survived. Derrell Smith died later at University of Maryland Shock Trauma., mathletes, how many years will Mr. Butcher actually serve? Also ....
A Baltimore jury convicted Demetrius Smith, 26, of the 400 block of Parrish Street, yesterday of first-degree murder and use of a handgun in the commission of a crime of violence. The trial lasted one week and jurors deliberated approximately two-and-a-half hours before reaching its verdict.

Judge Timothy J. Doory scheduled sentencing for February 22, 2010 at which time Smith faces a maximum possible prison term of life plus 20 years.

On March 24, 2008 at approximately 8:50 a.m. officers responded to the 400 block of Stricker Street were they found the victim, Robert Long, lying on the ground shot twice in the head. The victim died from his injuries and an autopsy determined that the cause of death was homicide. Witnesses were located who identified the Smith as the person who shot and killed Long. Additionally, witnesses were able to provide information regarding the motive of the murder; Smith was a drug dealer and Long found Smith’s heroine {sic} stash while rehabbing an abandoned house on Parrish Street. Long took the drugs and shortly thereafter Smith located him and walked him out to a secluded area in a local park and killed him.

On July 12, 2008 Smith posted $350,000 bail following a bail review hearing in which the State argued that Smith should be held without bail.
On August 27, 2008 Smith allegedly shot a victim in the leg during a street robbery in the 400 block of S. Parrish Street. The victim survived and Smith’s attempted murder trial is also scheduled to begin February 22, 2010.
And don't miss this week's CP cover feature: "Rising Tide: Baltimore's 2009 homicide toll goes against national trends by going up"

No comments: